Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Interview with Thiago Montiero : Brazilian Legend




Thiago Montiero has for many years been Brazils most famous player. He comes from a long line of great Brazilian table tennis players such as Claudio Kano and Hugo Hoyama.


Brazil actually dominates Latin American table tennis with many of their players playing in European leagues with regularity.
I caught up with one of the greats, Thiago who took time out to speak with the famous Petermoo Pages below.


I have known Thiago for many years as we competed at the same tournaments and I even have a few Brazil shirts in my collection I have traded with him over the years in exchange for my own Jamaican shirts. (We are the same size, even though I’m a little bit more muscular!

Thiago, in 2016 your country will host the Olympic games and surely you will aim to be among the players in front of your home crowd. What is your hope for these games?
The hope is to go as far as we can. We still have time to improve and we want to surprise in 2016, this is the goal for Brazil in table tennis.

Who is the best player in the world today and what do you think makes him the best?
To me Ma Long is the best, the most complete but Zhang Jike has won the most important titles recently. So it's between the two at this moment.

I know you are contracted to Cornilleau and use their rubbers, but how do you compare their product to Tenergy? Do you feel you are at a disadvantage using your sponsors product?
I am satisfied with Cornilleau, they provide me the best equipment they can and I don't spend time comparing my rubbers with other brands. Important is that I am satisfied with mine.

What is the best victory of your career so far?

I can't talk about one, I have beaten a few top players here and there and in important competition such as Olympics, World Cup and World Championships.

Who is the best player you have played against so far and how was the match for you?
I have played against some Chinese when they were at their best such
 as Ma Lin, Wang Hao, Wang Liqin. I played well but they are better than me.

Have you ever played a really difficult server? How did you solve this problem?


Yes, I have played against many good servers.. at the beginning I just tried to put the ball in play and with the time I got used.

Who do you train with now and what do you work on?

I train with Toriola, Merotohun, Diaw and Georgeus in the club and with my teammates from Brazil like Tsuboi, Matsumoto, Calderano, Ishy, Jouti and some others on training camps. Eventually with some other players but most of the time with these ones I said above.

Brazil is more famous for football than table tennis, how good of a footballer are you?

Let's say that I am better footballer than table tennis player!


No comments:

Post a Comment