Monday, December 3, 2012

X1 Turbo Platin



The search for the perfect forehand rubber continues. We continue to shell out our hard earned cash as we continue to try out improved version after improved version hoping to find a rubber that can match what used to be our perfect combo (before Adham, of course) 
I must admit that I have been eagerly awaiting this the latest, greatest FD3 as the manufacturers Donic have been saying all the right things. 
Improved rebound (yes we need that) 
Improved durability (Indeedy we do!) 
Imagine all that plus better dwell time and more speed (Yahmon das the real big ting dere!) 
But you know, especially in the table tennis world, there's often a big gap between what is promised and what is delivered so out of a sense of duty to all, i have decided to test the new beast and share with all my beloved forum buddies (Yes, this includes you too boz) 
I will also be testing the Acuda S1, Gold X1 and Coppa Speed in medium soft sponge all while I am still in training for a couple of overseas arrangements.





OK so I unwrapped my red max sheet and the first thing I observed was the colour of the Platin X1 was a bit dull not as shiny as its Japanese cousin Coppa Speed but a little more brilliant than reg Platin. 
The smell was very muted , very plasticy unlike the pungent stench of Jap made Donics like Coppa and Coppa Speed. 
The new sponge, which is said to be porous al la Tenergy and Baracuda is a little rough but nowhere as rough as the aforementioned rubbers. To tell the truth, its a little in between. 
Now Donic is advertising this rubber as med+ which puts it directly in line with Coppa Speed which I found a bit too hard but out of the package I have to disagree. This rubber feels softer than that, medium and probably med- to my touch. 
Certainly the topsheet is softer than the old Platin topsheet probably as soft as JO Gold. Maybe the sponge is medium+ but the combination of topsheet and sponge for sure is softer than regular Platin. 
I didnt get to play for long with this rubber today as I injured my back so I'm just going to give my initial impressions and maybe when I get back I will give a summary and more detailed review and analysis. 
The weight of the Platin was average so i was pleased with the overall balance of my bat (I dont like heavy rubbers) 
FH counterhit was really nice because of the bouncyness of sheet, better than gold for sure good speed minimum effort natural glued up Bryce FX or glued up Hammond good feel with a rich solid linear feel. 
FH Blocks were easy as a breeze, no surprise reactions from the rubber very predictable and controllable without me having to force the block (Platin) or ease off on the block (Coppa Speed), the natural rebound of the rubber made it a very easy blocking rubber. 
The drives against the block were pretty spinny and fast but did not have the penetration of Coppa Speed max. Donic gives both rubbers 10++ ratings but here I have to give Coppa Speed the edge. 
Counterloop was very very controllable because of the topsheets foregivingness and bite, but I had to work harder at overpowering my opponent unlike with Coppa Speed which rules at that distance in the power department but certainly does not have the control of the Platin X1. 
My serves were certainly more effective , the rubber gives a great deal of bite while the sponge assists harmoniously for kick serves. My practice partner actually put quite a few of my serves off the table and in the bottom of the net and this is a guy who is used to my serves. So based on that I'd have to say Platin X1 rules in the service department. 
Its too early to say how durable this rubber is going to be but I did not obsevre any ball marks and signs of wear and tear like when I am using JO Gold for even 15 minutes. 
The most disappointing area of performance of Platin X1 was driving against heavy pushes. Coming from Coppa Speed s harder sponge I am in the habit of demolishing pushes with overwhelming power. Not so with the Platin X1. I had to use a more brushing action instead of blasting through the ball. The good part of that was that I produced so much topspin that not a single drive was blocked on the table! 
The sound of the rubber was rich and rewarding, the overall feel was as close as I have come to the feeling of a properly glued up rubber. The catapult effect is definitely there even more so than say in T05 or T64 without the excessive high throw or the extra weight. 
Sorry I couldnt be more extensive but I will probably say more when I have had another few sessions with it. 
I'm very pleased with this rubber its a quantum leap over its immediate predecessor I have to give a two thumbs way up to Donic for this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment